Logo

History of Valparai

Image 01

History of Valparai, Tamilnadu, South India

In 1846 Mr. Ramasamy Mudaliyar planted coffee in his own estate.

In 1864 Karnatic Coffee Company and some other peoples asked the Madras Government to provide some land for cultivation in the Anamallais. Government accepted the proposal and sold the waste land for Rs. 5.00 per acre. In the initial stages, Planters cultivated coffee. But they were not able to get the desired yield of coffee, which had a huge market. So the Karnatic Coffee company sold some part of the lands to some people. Now one part of the area is called Waverly Estate and another part is called Water Falls Estate.

In 1875 England's Honorable Prince A.P. WALES EDWARD VII visits India, he plans for hunting in Grass Hills via Konalar Valley. So people made a camp. In that camp many English people stayed. So that camp was called Aangilakurichi. (Now a days Angalakuruchi) All arrangements were made for him including Railway tracks, Roads and Guest houses.

Soldiers, Horses, Elephants were employed for the work. But due to some reasonable fact he cancelled his hunting program in Anamalais.

In 1877 Government had taken a decision that not to give any of the land to the people for plantation. They felt deforestation will spoil the valuable Rain, Forest and other important Plants.

Teak wood was completely vanished. This made the Estate owners and Forest officers in to a clash.

In 1890 Mr. W.WINTIL, and Mr. NORDAN asked the government to give land. They proved, all the water sources were wastly mingled in Arabic Ocean via Cochin. So the govt. planed to give the land again.

MR. WINTIL cutted all the trees in his land and made the land more fertile and planned to plant the coffee in his estate. For his estate he employed 17 years experienced great man Mr. CARWER MARSH for the salary of Rs. 250/- MR.CARWER MARSH was an excellent hard worker. His sweet co-operation with the people made more attracted. He was the medicine for the sick and an eligible worker so he was called as The Father of Anamalais. In olden days his hard work and his sufferings now made people to lead their happy. MR.CARWER MARSH statue was sent by his wife. Today his statue standing Majestically in Kavarkal Estate.

STANMORE GROUP (Wood Brair)

In 1898 Mr. E.J. Martin developed the Sirikundra Estates. In 1896 with the help of Passion Quince Company Agency. They made Rubee Tea company. In 1927 Nallakathu and Injiparai estates were bought by those personalities. They planted, 5204.08 acre’s with the tea plant in 1939.

VELLAMALLAI GROUP (M/s. Periya Karamalai Tea Produce Co. Ltd.)

Vellamallai, Kanchmallai tea estate was developed in the years 1925 to 1930 nearly 1038.5 acres are planted with tea. In 1911 Mr. Carwer Marsh started his work. Till 1927 with 777 acres. They Planted the tea plants.

SHEKALMUDI GROUPS: ( M/s. Parry Agro Industries Ltd.)

In 1904 Mr. Marsh and Mr. Congre planted Rubber in Kallayana Panthal Estate. The Name Kallayana Panthal derived from the name Kalyani the tribal GOD.

Source - Book Materials-Aged People and Library

(We accept any suggestions in implementing the History of Valparai)

Categories

Cool Links

Welcome to Valparai

Valparai

Krishna INN

Valparai

Green Hill Hotel

Valparai

Advertisement

Hornbill castle

A warm welcome awaits you at the Hornbill Castle Bed & Breakfast, a delightful establishment set right in the outer of the picturesque small hill town of Valparai. .